Friday, January 11, 2008

Yarn Snob? No, Yarn SNUB!

About a month ago, my search for more of a yarn selection took Mike and I on a trek.
I had searched online for yarn shops in my area, lucky me I found a little yarn shop that was about 10 minutes from my house in Historic Long Grove. I don't know too much about the area, but they have loads of cute shops, including a fancy schmancy yarn shop. Mike willingly came along and we checked out a few of the shops and a little place that sold hot chocolate & hot apple cider so we each got a toasty drink to warm our hands and walked over to the yarn place. Since I had the hot chocolate, I made sure to look out for signs on the door that said "no food or beverage", y'know, something along those lines because I totally would have pitched my hot chocolate for an opportunity to ogle some high-end yarn. There was no sign, so I walked in and was in Yarn Mecca. It was wall to wall cashmere, silk, merino all the natural blends that I have yet to try. A woman approached me, and I swear, the look on her face was as though I had just walked through the front door of her home at 2am. With absolutely no expression on her face, she asked: "Can I help you?" I stated that I would like to take a look around, she looked me floor to ceiling and said "You can't have that in here!" meaning my hot chocolate. I glanced past her to see a bunch of ladies sitting at a big table, all holding their Starbuck's coffees, and for a split second I thought about dumping the drink just so I could walk around and touch some swanky yarn, but that lady just gave me a bad vibe. For a little background on me, if I get a bad vibe somewhere, I have to leave. Sadly, this has left Mike stranded in many a store (someday I will tell you about the "incident" I had at Wal-Mart) I looked at Mike and said "Let's go." he was puzzled, and once we got in the car, I wanted to cry. I really felt discriminated against (is that the right word?) Maybe the word is excluded. They had all this gorgeous yarn and pretty much told me that I can't see it. So, I was bummed. We set off again and I did a search for any other yarn shops on the internet on my phone, I found two more shops: Midwest Discount Yarn- I wasn't sure about the swankiness of this place, but imagined that it was a warehouse packed to the ceiling with skein upon skein of every yarn I could imagine - yeah, not so much. Turns out this place is on the North Side of Chicago, and it just so happened to start snowing heavily. Driving down Foster, I coined the term "Chicago Carwash" meaning that spray of slush that splashes up on the driver sides of parallel parked cars. Online, it said that Midwest Discount Yarn was open until 4pm on Saturdays. We arrived at 2pm (I figured that 2 hours was ample time to feel out the place.) We parked in front (parallel, so we could get a Chicago carwash...) and walked up to the door. Closed. CLOSED! It took us 2 hours to get there (because of the snow) Not even a note saying that they closed early. It really didn't matter, because it was wall to wall Red Heart (please see previous post for my comment on Red Heart - it has it's place.)
At this point I was sullen and downtrodden. An entire day wasted on a fancy yarn wild goose chase. There was one more stop to make, in Des Plaines, called Mosaic Yarn Studio. When I walked in, there was a woman who greeted me and when I told her that I had heard yarn lore about yarns made of things other that acrylic she happily showed me Noro yarn, Brown Sheep, Cascade and about a dozen others. Even yarn made of bamboo! The staff there were exactly what I was hoping I'd find on my yarn adventure. Helpful as all get out! I bought a ball of 100% cotton yarn in a golden yellow and some really cool flannel/ fleecey feeling variegated yarn. I can't wait to go back, probably after I get my income tax return : )
If you're ever in Des Plaines, IL - you must stop in to the Mosaic Yarn Studio (http://www.mosaicyarnstudio.com/) and lay out some dough for some absolutely GORGEOUS yarns and great info from the ladies!
(On a side note, I am totally embarrassed that I didn't save the labels for them and that I can't tell you what brand I purchased! I just took a pic of the yarn, though so you can guess if you'd like : )

3 comments:

YarnThing said...

Hey girlfriend!

Just wanted to pop on over here and say hello and thank you for listening to the podcast!!! I have never been to Chicago but hope to go there sometime soon!

Sounds like you and I would have a great time shopping for yarn and crocheting the day away together :-)

Keep up the good work and good luck with the baby blanket...I know how tedious those can be to make .

xoxox

Marly

Jenn said...

Thank you so much for the comment! You made my day!!!
If you make it out here, we will go and yarn it up!
Take Care!
Jenn

Anonymous said...

Bummer about the Long Grove shop, but I know exactly what you are talking about. I've been there a few times & also I've heard similar stories about that place. It's not a loss for me at all. I live in Chicago and there are a lot more friendlier LYS that carry the same yarn.