Sunday, January 13, 2008

Wrestling & Yarn

As planned, Mike and I went to watch RBCHS Rocket Wrestling yesterday morning. I got to spend some time with my mom & sisters and even got several rows of the baby blanket done while we watched my nephew dominate on the mat (like always, in my nephew's 4 years of high school he has only lost one match and that was last year's championship match in Champaign for the IHSA State Wrestling Tournament versus Mike Benefiel from Lombard/Montini who was ranked number 1 in the nation at that time - If you're going to lose, might as well lose to the best, right? If you're interested - you can read about that match here: http://mchenrycountysports.com/articles/2007/02/20/winter_sports/wrestling/doc45d7f0788e159289664556.txt


"PIN!"

Yes, I do crochet in public!

Anyways...back to yarn!
Since we were already in Round Lake, I convinced Mike that we should stop by Hannah's in Antioch so I could check out their yarn. He obliged but stayed in the car & listened to Harry Potter book 7 on his iPod.
At Hannah's, they had a lot of wool & wool blends. They did have a really nice clearance section (what can I say, I love me some clearance!) I found a great 100% Peruvian highland wool in a pinky/ orange colorway - I looked on their site www.cascadeyarns.com
to see if that colorway has a name, it doesn't. Simply #9438. I also bought a small ball of Idena Sorbetto yarn in a blue/ aqua colorway that is a 90/10 cotton/ poly amide blend.
I really don't know why I always buy a ball of cotton yarn. I have several, but I'm not sure what to do with them other than make dishcloths.



(L) Idena Sorbetto (R) Cascade Yarns Quatro



I was only in Hannah's for about 40 minutes (only...LOL) and when I got back in the car, I headed to Wool, Warp & Wheel in Richmond. OH MY GOSH!!!
The first thing I saw was a bible verse above the door, Jeremiah 29: 11-12.
I felt like I was walking into a cozy living room, there was Celtic music piped in and wall to wall yarn and spinning equipment, Molly the dog greeted me at the door. I walked a bit further in and in the back of the shop was an old timey wood burning fireplace and a man knitting :)
A woman greeted me immediately, and when I said I wanted to learn to knit, she showed me how! I sat in the shop and listened to stories, people coming and going & learned to knit!
I finally decided to purchase a set of needles, some yarn & a pattern for a scarf!
When I walked out the door, Mike was eyeing me contemptuously through the car window.
I had been in the shop for an HOUR AND A HALF!!! I felt so bad! He had been sitting there, and his iPod battery died, so he was just skipping around the radio. I know he was pissed, but he didn't dwell on it. When I came out with just a small shopping bag (which contained my new needles and 2 balls of yarn) he said "I kind of expected that you'd have a bigger bag." - LOL
Wool, Warp & Wheel is a hidden gem in Richmond, IL (I love that town, anyways.) They have Jenn friendly hours (7p-9:30p weekdays & 10a-5p on weekends).
So, I was high on yarn endorphins : )



(L) 100% pure wool in "Purple Haze" & my new Brittany knitting needles!
(R) The same yarn, same color. The color on the left is more accurate for color.



Mike and I were invited to a house re-warming party for our friend Lev, so we headed out to Wildwood with our dog for a play date with Levi's dog Jake (aka The Polar Bear). The dogs were sent outside to play, and I decided to open the kitchen window and give them each a burger. They both popped their heads and paws into the sill and it looked like a doggie drive thru window. So cute!

"You forgot the fries!"

Enjoy your Sunday!
Take Care,
Jenn

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i made a livejournal feed to let me know when update:
http://syndicated.livejournal.com/twistedthreads/profile
yay!

Jenn said...

Thanks Jay! You're the best pimp in town!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha -- the dogs are like, "May I take your order?"