Thursday, January 24, 2008

More time to crochet

Well, a week ago, I was laid off from my job. It came as a total shock to me, I was not expecting it at all. So, theoretically, I have had a ton of time to crochet/ knit. Now that I have the time, I am suffering from lack of motivation! I ripped out the Baby Turtle blanket, and decided to make it a round baby blanket (that way I don't have to worry about my rows!) I went over to my mom's on Tuesday and she told me that she got some yarn from Big Lots (I'm not sure if they are everywhere -but they basically have things that have been discontinued or overstock from other stores) and found some Patons Bohemian super chunky yarn for $1 a skein.

"Was there more?" I asked, since they don't generally carry yarn.

She handed me the skeins and said that she would like a skinny scarf made from it. I said Okey Dokey! I dragged her along to Big Lots to see if they still had this discount yarn...they did!

I spent $30 for 30 skeins of yarn, they had Patons Brilliant, Lacette, Be Mine & Glittalic in assorted colors - I had to ask that my mom please lead me away, before I bought all of it. It was just in tubs on the floor (you know how I feel about clearance...) I got home and added it to my stash, and thought - OK, now. What am I going to do with all this???

I did find that I am more productive when someone hands me yarn and says 'Make me something!" (as my mom had) That Bohemian yarn knits up so thick! I love it! It's like chenille and looks so nice!


Also, last night I decided to make an iPod holder for Mike, and felt it!



I made it of Lion Brand Wool for felting in dark teal, I forgot to measure pre-felting but I'd say it shrunk about an inch. I live in an apartment that does not have washers in the apartments so I tried using the machine in our laundry room. There was no option to change load size and the water didn't get very hot, so I ended up hand felting in the kitchen sink. It's OK, next time I attempt felting, I will do it in my mom's washer, for free.

Take Care!
Jenn

No comments: