Saturday, February 9, 2008

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Tonight was such a great night!
On a whim, Mike said "Let's go out!" - we've been trying to save money by being homebodies since I am currently generating zero income.
He whisked me out to dinner at PF Chang's in Northbrook (really nice Asian cuisine!) and we had a delicious dinner, then we went over to the mall (Northbrook Court - anyone who's seen 'Mean Girls' - the mall scenes were filmed there!) It's a swanky kind of mall (they have a Louis Vuitton store, and a Coach store...) they also have a store called "Teavana" - a few years ago, my bro-in-law went there and got the best loose leaf tea called "Night, Night" and gave me a sample that was to die for.

Until this very evening, I was not aware that Teavana had a location other than in Watertower Place in Chicago. So, Mike and I wandered in and I said that I had to get some of that tea!
Now, I was raised with the notion of "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!" and I noticed that there were no posted prices on this swanky tea. I didn't think too much about it, it's tea. It sure as hell isn't a Louis Vuitton handbag. As we meandered to the front of the line, the tea barista (TeaRista?) starts in with the pitch by displaying a medium sized tin, and telling us that for $7 dollars, I could get this re-usable tin, and each time I refilled this tin, I would get a 10% discount. $7! Such a deal! Now, maybe it was my naivete (sp?) but I'd like to think it was the Mai Tai and the Kirin Ichiban beer I had with dinner that made me believe that this tin, filled with tea was going to be $7. Sadly, it was just the tin that cost $7 - the tea was $6 per 2 oz - 9 ounces fit in this tin. I'll give you a moment to do the math...yes the tea itself cost $27. Add the lovely tin - you got it - $34. I stammered, feeling my buzz wear off and trying to not look like a jackass and say...uhm, how's about you take 3/4 of that magic tea out of the tin and let's check the price on that. Mike busts out his card and says "That's fine." with a smile on his face.
He bought me $34 dollars worth of tea : )
*Note to self...time to take Mike along while yarn shopping...
The rest of the night was filled with jokes about protecting the tea - going to the bank tomorrow to put it in a safety deposit box, telling our landlord that we can't make rent because we bought expensive tea. When we got home, I was reading the booklet that came with the tea (THAT HAD THE PRICES IN IT!) and Mike asked what I was doing, I replied, "reading up on our investment". The good news is that it is indeed great tea and you can steep the same serving 3 times.
LOL
Off to enjoy the tea : )

6 comments:

Jay said...

http://www.teavana.com/Mate+Vana+Herbal+Tea/cid=92/page_no=1/edp_no=4458/shop.axd/ProductDetails
That stuff is the best EVER. it has blue flowers in it and everything.

Jenn said...

Hi Jay! You're still awake!

Jenn said...

Why is your blogger blog private? Are you hiding things from me? TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!!!

Jay said...

I have no idea why it says that! I don't think i have a blogger blog! i will look into that (:

Jenn said...

The maté tea has caffeine and is an appetite suppressant! Awesomes, as for my comment about your blog - I must be on crack, I thought that since there was a little B next to your name in the comment list, you had a blogger blog.
...Smoking crack, I am...

Anonymous said...

Hey Baby!! I just read your "Tea" story to the girls in the office, and we all laughed!! You are so funny! I could read your stuff everyday, and I intend to!!!

I Love You Sis!
Stacey