Thursday, February 7, 2008

But what can I do?

The recent loss of a friend's baby has really gotten me thinking about knitting/ crocheting for charity, which led me to the internet to see what can I do for my fellow man?
I am still a beginner, so I am not able to knit or crochet garments. What I can do is make baby hats. Unfortunately, many of the sites I've visited say they are stocked up on tiny hats and that they need other things. One site I found takes donations of your wedding gown and uses the fabric to make burial garments, line infant caskets and memory boxes provided to mourning families.
Since I am divorced, I still have my gown (and trust me, there's ALOT of material...LOL) and considered throwing it away, as I have no daughter to pass it on to. My mom said not to throw it away, but I didn't want to bring it into the home I share with my boyfriend, so she has it at her house.
My only apprehension to donating the dress is that it will not be used for charitable purposes, or that the garments made from the materials will be sold, rather than donated to families who are grieving. Does anyone have any suggestions?

**After patrolling the internet to find organizations that take donations of wedding dresses to sell for charity funding, I find that my dress does not qualify. They only take dresses that are 3 years old or newer (I got married in 2000) . Which makes sense, just because you're a bride in need doesn't mean you're going to wear a hideous, out of fashion dress. So, I believe I will send my dress to Heavenly Angels in Need for re-purposing into burial garments. I suppose that even if the garment is sold, its profits will compensate the seamstress's/ tailors for their skill in making something that no parent ever wants to have to think about purchasing for their new baby.

The dress weighs about 15#...that's gonna be costly to ship, but at least it will be getting some use, instead of crammed into storage.

2 comments:

Jay said...

http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/who/extermaknit.html
i think you should make a dalek.

Jenn said...

WTF is a Dalek?